Every Friday I will share with you something I’ve read, watched, listened to or experienced to take you into your weekend. I came across this 1 hour interview filmed by The Hollywood Reporter (THR) with actors Alan Arkin, Denzel Washington, Jamie Foxx, John Hawkes, Matt Damon and Richard Gere. I met THR.com’s Deputy Editor, Seth Abramovitch at a vinyl fair in Los Feliz when in LA at the end of last year. He told me what he did for a living and I had to pull it back a few steps - I had no idea what the Hollywood Reporter was. A gossip site? Something like Perez Hilton? Me in my music and travel bubble...
Before we talk more about the video...
For those who (like me not so long ago) don’t know what The Hollywood Reporter is, THR is Hollywood’s most trusted resource for entertainment news, it has a wide rapport in the industry producing a high end glossy magazine each week and daily news online. THR.com receives an average of 5 million visitors per month. The stats are much higher during awards season. Yep... a far cry from my first fleeting assumptions.
Seth also generously offered for me to visit him at the THR offices and allowed me to interview him for the upcoming Media Talks Podcast Series which will be announced on my site next week. Those who have subscribed to my newsletter got a head start on the first lineup before Christmas.
Back to the video...
The Hollywood Reporter films annual roundtable interviews with actors, comedians, writers, directors, costume designers, presenters and posts the full uncensored interviews on YouTube. Because THR has such a rapport in the industry I feel that these interviews reveal much more than a regular interview. The conversations are genuine and often quite candid.
Some highlights for me:
- John Hawkes speaks of "champagne problems" (I love that term!) on how being recognised when being interviewed by the press or being the centre of attention outside his work takes away from being an artist
- Alan Arkin on a dream exercise he worked on; what he would say to a martian
- Jamie Foxx on controlling ones image (through media) and trying to not let it affect him being an artist. Then on the subject of fears or worries of ones career - his positive outlook that talent will always get an actor or actress work
- Matt Damon comparing the business for men and for women
- Denzel Washington on fear, fame (“I don’t know what that is”) and his advice to his daughter who is studying to be an actress
A joy for me to watch. I hope you enjoy it too. And if you have any tech issues watching it on my site you can watch it directly on YouTube right here.